To qualify for an annual resident sporting license, you must have permanent residency in New York State for more than 30 days. Residency is a place where you maintain a fixed, permanent home, and to which you always intend to return. Owning property in NYS does not constitute residency.
Proof of Residency accepted for Annual Licenses
You will need one of the following documents as proof of residency when purchasing your annual license:
- NYS driver license from DMV showing a valid NYS address
- NYS non-driver identification from DMV showing a valid NYS address
- Current NYS vehicle registration showing a valid NYS address
- IT-201 OR W-2 income tax form from the previous year
- Current voter registration card
- Current student ID card from a New York State College or University
- Military Leave and Earnings Statement (LES) OR military orders
- Current pay stub OR note on letterhead from a current employer. Either must verify your legal NYS address
- Current lease within New York State in the applicant's name
When purchasing a lifetime license, you must show proof of residency for one full year preceding the application date. Residency is a place where you maintain a fixed, permanent home, and to which you always intend to return. Owning property in NYS does not constitute residency.
Proof of Residency accepted for Lifetime Licenses
You will need one of the following documents as proof of residency when purchasing a lifetime license:
- NYS DMV issued driver's license, or a NYS DMV issued non-driver license showing a valid NYS address
- NYS income tax form IT-201 or W-2 form
- Voter registration card
- NYS DMV vehicle registration card showing a valid NYS address
- Military personnel who are stationed outside of the State but are domiciled within NYS are eligible for lifetime licenses. Military personnel must submit evidence of at least one year of residence prior to enlistment. In addition, military personnel may also submit any of the following: copies of his or her enlistment contract showing home address and how long the applicant lived there; physical record showing date of physical examination and residence at the time of that examination; military orders showing home address; or a leave and earnings statement.
- Proof of age. Every applicant must provide proof of age. The following are acceptable forms of proof: birth certificate, United States passport, driver’s license, or non-drivers photo identification license.
Please note, only the following residency proofs are accepted when purchasing a license online:
- Current New York State Driver’s License
- Current New York State Non-Driver’s ID with A VALID NY ADDRESS
- Parents NYS driver’s license for minors
Resident Active-Duty Military stationed outside New York State and home on leave for 30
days or less are eligible for a free fishing, hunting, and trapping license under the Patriot Plan. For online purchases you must add the eligibility to your account before purchasing a license. For in person purchases, you will have to fill out the Certification of Military Active Service Status form (form) and the license issuing agent must keep this form on file for three years
Non-resident Military Personnel stationed in New York State are entitled to purchase a resident license if they present military orders proving that they are stationed within the state. They must fill out a Certification of Military Active Service Status form (form) and the license issuing agent must keep this form on file for three years. Your profile should stay labeled as “nonresident”.
Full-time Students are eligible to purchase resident licenses while they are attending a high school, college or university in NYS and residing in the state for the school year. The applicant must submit a current school identification card or a letter from the registrar indicating that the student is enrolled full-time for the current school year.
Please sign in to leave a comment.